I promise this is it – my last blog on Sri Lankan soil.
To ease my racing mind with my flight only hours away, I thought I’d take an inventory of things I will miss and things I will be happy to leave behind in Sri Lanka.
Things I’ll miss:
- $1 haircuts
- $10 bottles of gin
- The Sam’s
- Being tanned (okay, it’s more of a reddish-brown colour, but all the same)
- Cows, elephants and water buffalo stopping traffic
- The ocean 6 km away (Sunsets at the Galle Face Hotel)
- Kottu, pol sambol and string hoppers
- Spicy food in general, especially Lal’s rice and curry
- Water’s Edge gym and pool
- Other VSO volunteers
- The 150 bus
- Mr. and Mrs. S., Kanula and the daughters – and even the dog Tongi
- The guy at the Keel’s food counter who gives me a free drink whenever he sees me and wants to visit Angoda
- The guy at the Laughf’s who sells me my gin and drinks water out of one my Bombay empties (as do all the Laughf’s employees as it’s a sign of wealth to drink water from imported alcohol bottles here)
- Nishantha – The support staff worker who watches my stuff at the hospital and practices his English by reading the media handbook all day long.
- Kamal, Francis, Sisira, Raymond and the rest of the patients at Angoda.
- Tuk tuk rides
- Writing this blog (sadly my life back home is simply not blog-worthy)
- …oh yeah, my wife (she’ll hopefully join me back in Canada in June after her school year ends)
Things I say good riddance to:
- Ants and cockroaches
- Lazy spiders and geckos
- Sri Lankan desserts
- The ripoff tuk tuk drivers
- Stifling bureaucracy
- Flagrant hypocrisy, arrogance and corruption at every level of government (This can be said for almost any country, but this one hits an all new level here.)
- Policemen directing traffic at busy intersections and just slowing everything down
- The entrenched caste system and growing religious tensions (Be nicer to one another Sri Lankans!)
- Running outside in the heat, traffic and pollution.
That’s all I can think of for now. In the meantime, here are some photos of my farewell party week…thanks everyone for the well wishes and good times.