I’ve never been a morning person.
Back home, I was up at 7:30, in the shower at 7:31 and at work by 8 (okay, maybe it was more like 8:04-and-a-half) – mathematically the latest I could wake up and still make it to work on time.
Over the past year living in Sri Lanka, my morning habits have changed drastically. Even though I don’t start work until 9ish, I’m up and at em’ most days shortly after the sun rises at 6 a.m. That gives me roughly three hours extra every day that I didn’t used to have.
Why the change you ask? Well, I’m not quite sure, other than that those are the most comfortable hours of the day temperature-wise, and subconsciously, I think my mind doesn’t want me wasting it sleeping.
At first, I didn’t know what to do with the extra time, but now I’ve developed a nice mix of different activities and past times that I will definitely miss when I leave. Here are a few of my favourite things to do:
1) Eat breakfast – I never used to have time to eat before work in the olden days. Now it’s a full meal of eggs, peanut butter on bread and a banana (sorry, Sri Lankan breakfast is good, but just involves too much effort to make)
2) Drink copious amounts of Nescafe – We actually brought back some real coffee from Canada, but I only allow myself one of those beauties a day. The subsequent cups are all instant, tough to choke down, but give me a great caffeine high.
3) Fry mosquitoes with our electric tennis racket – The morning is the best time to kill mosquitoes. After a night spent trying to sip our blood through the mosquito net, they are beat and ready to seek refuge in our clothes cupboard. When I come swinging at 7:02, they don’t stand a bloody chance.
4) Snooping at people on Facebook – I like doing this at all hours of the day, but in the early morning hours is when I’m at my finest.
5) Listening to podcasts – I never really listened to podcasts back home, but here they’ve become my go-to entertainment option, especially in the morning. If you’re looking for something to fill your ear buds, my favourites are: The Adam Carolla Show, WTF, The Joe Rogan Experience (comedy); Prime Time Sports, The B.S. Report and Hang Up and Listen (sports); and This American Life and Real Time (current events and such). Good times.
6) Think about working out – Even though I’m awake and moving early, I still haven’t managed to get into the pre-work exercise routine. I think I like doing all the other morning stuff too much, but I do like thinking about it.
7) Stand at attention for the Sri Lankan national anthem – Every morning at 8:36 they play the anthem at the neighbouring technical school. (I think it may be the Mini Pops or Alvin and the Chipmunks version). After paying my respects to the nation, I know it’s time to get my ass out the door and see what riches the day will bring.
That’s it. That’s my morning. Exciting, no?
Alright, back to sweating.