Here's the bounty we pulled from the sea with our own hands. No shit, we actually used our hands.

Trina’s parents – Randall and Bev – are wrapping up their whirlwind tour of Sri Lanka today as they begin the hellacious 35-hour trip back to Regina.

Over the past few weeks we’ve had a great time with them. We’ve beached, swam, sweated, visited, shivered, hiked, ate, drank, laughed, site-sawed, safaried, boated, trained, bused, tuk-tuked and negotiated our way right across this fantastic little island together.

Much like when my parents visited in August, it really was special and fun having them stay with us and touring with them around the country. Definitely an experience we would have missed out on had we not moved to the other side of the world. Ironic, but true.

You get to know your parents (and I’m sure kids) in a much different (and more interesting) light when you travel and live with them as adults – especially in a country like Sri Lanka.

To wrap the trip up, Randall and I took to the high seas over the weekend to try our luck at deep sea fishing in the Indian Ocean. It was my first time fishing in the ocean, but this was Randy’s sixth time out. His previous record of 2 successful catches out of five made us hopeful that he’d hit the .500 mark with this attempt.

In our own boat, which included 3 crew members, we started off just before 7 a.m. with some trolling as we headed out to deeper waters.  After an hour of watching the lines stand still, we stopped, put the huge rods away and the crew started baiting some fishing line.

Little did we know that the line wouldn’t be attached to a rod and reel, but to our hands.

Yep, they we were in the middle of the Indian Ocean holding a super long fishing line with a weight and two small hooks that were sitting on the bottom of the ocean floor. I have to admit we were both silently skeptical.

“I have never done this before,” said Randall.

“I wouldn’t think so,” I said.

It didn’t take long before our skepticism vanished and we realized our crew knew what they were doing as the first fish bit, and then the next, and the next.

After a couple hours of learning the art of hand line fishing, we managed to pull out over 15 fish – some big, some small, and as it turns out, all delicious. And much like my overall experience in Sri Lanka, it wasn’t what I was expecting at all, but it was still fun.

And as it turned out, the day was a great wrap up to the visit – as not only did we catch fish, but Trina and her mom also bought jewellery. Everyone was a winner.

Here are the fishing pics, so you know I’m being honest.